5.13.2012

Making me a mother

One of the perks of having two kids in a public elementary school came today on Mother's Day. Now, just to be clear, I am not complaining about my husband's thoughtfulness on this holiday, he does just fine. It's just that his work and, for that matter, his nature have never allowed for prepping and doing hand-crafted Mother's day gifts with our children... And there is something awkward about planning and doing those kind of crafts with my kids for them to give to turn around and give to me!

 So having two incredibly sweet, nurturing and creative teachers (who both happen to be mothers themselves) working in the background this year was a new thing for me. A thing I really appreciated.

Thank you to all you great teacher's out there!

On Friday, Tboy galloped out of the school doors holding a little pot of Petunias. At the last minute before he hugged me he realized it was supposed to be a Mother's Day surprise and it wasn't Mother's Day yet... Behind his back went the poor petunias! All the way to the car he and Bee tried to hide their offerings and I blithely looked the other way. After all, I love surprises!

Now there may not be a whole lot of value in a tiny pot of Petunias but the look on his little charmer face when he put them on my nightstand was a treasure in itself. Plus, tucked into the soil is a picture of my boy... a picture I didn't buy at the beginning of the year because I didn't like his expression... a picture that I think is pretty cute now that I can see how much he's grown since then... A picture I'm pretty happy to have a copy of in the end!


Better than flowers and pictures was this little questionnaire he had filled out about me...
...

For the record:
I don't really like lasagna that much.
I didn't meet my husband at a barn (although we were married in one).
I am 27.
And I laughed harder than I ever do at movies just reading this little paper from my boy.


Bee brought me breakfast in bed... in a bag. 2 muffins, hot cocoa, instant coffee and a card.
Pretty darn impressive Mrs. "H"!

Included was a darling book she had illustrated for me. I laughed and spit muffin crumbs all-over when she read it to me. I know, lovely picture.

It went like this...

If You Give A Mom A Muffin

If you give a mom a muffin,
She'll want a cup of coffee to go with it.
She'll pour herself some.

Her three-year-old will spill the coffee.
She'll wipe it up.
Wiping the floor, she'll find dirty socks.
She'll remember she has to do laundry.

When she puts the laundry in the washer,
She'll trip over boots and bump into the freezer.

Bumping into the freezer will remind her she has to plan for supper.
She will get out a pound of hamburger.
She'll look for her cookbook ("101 Things To Do With a Pound of Hamburger").

The cookbook is sitting under a pile of mail.
She will see the phone bill, which is due tomorrow.
She will look for her checkbook.

The checkbook is in her purse that is being dumped by her two-year-old.
She'll smell something funny.
She'll change the two-year-old's diaper.

While she is changing the diaper the phone will ring.
Her five-year-old will answer and hang up.
She'll remember she wants to phone a friend for coffee.

Thinking of coffee will remind her that she was going to have a cup.
And chances are...

If she has a cup of coffee,
Her kids will have eaten the muffin that went with it.

The End.

I do not know who gets the credit for penning this gem of a story but I think all of us mother's can attest to it's truth!  


Speaking of gems, here is the uber-sweet card my hubby gave me. He is a gem. I asked for lawn and garden work for Mother's Day and he worked his tail off on Saturday to comply.

Thank you, honey!

Mostly I felt very grateful this year on Mother's Day...

Thankful for a God who planned for motherhood in all it's glory.
Thankful for a husband who makes such a good parenting partner.

Thankful for a mother who inspires me.
Thankful for a mother-in-law who amazes me.

Thankful for countless friends and examples I have met who are the mothers I want to be when I grow up.

Thankful for the children who call me "Mom".
Thankful for the many experiences along the way that taught me and helped me grow.
Thankful for teachers, librarians, coaches and leaders who make my job a little easier.
Thankful to live in Nebraska, USA where I am free to mother my children in the way I believe to be right.

All these things have made me the mother that I am.
I am grateful beyond expression.

***


I also spent some time thinking about things that effect mothering on a grander scale.

Things like Cancer.

I can't imagine losing my mom.
I can't imagine leaving my children mother-less.

But Cancer steals mothers all the time.

So this year I stopped putting off the idea of doing my part to find a cure.
My part is pretty small, people, but it's something and if we all do what we can (even if it's small) then our "little" can add together to make a lot... And maybe one of these days, our "lot" will be enough and more mothers will be around to hug their children on Mother's Day!

And that's a happy picture.

I am walking in our local Relay for Life next week. It's an all night event, from 7pm to 7am - the darkness and the dawn representing key points of a cancer victim's journey. I am planning to walk to the whole thing.

If you would like to help my team's fundraising efforts in even just a small way, please visit my Relay for Life page to donate to the cause.

It's important.
The truth is, we can all have a part in a cure for Cancer,
But there is no cure for mother-love... It's life-long.
And who can say how long that life will last?

Love,
Grateful in NE




5 comments:

  1. What a great post! Love those sweet kiddo gifts and the poems are priceless--of course I'm pretty partial to the "if you give your mom a muffin" one! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this is sweet sweet sweet and I love the "give your Mom a muffin" story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy mothering. The sweetness is just beginning. :)

    Somehow, I think I'd have had that cup of coffee anyway and it would have ended up in my purse, all over the checkbook.

    My S. brought home a page from Kindergarten like your Latham's. One of the lines was, My mom gets mad when: It became fairly obvious at that point that she and her seatmate were sharing their responses... it was answered by, "when my dad comes home drunk."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear, Mothered, Mothering-Mother,

    How did I miss this post!! Too sweet for words, thats what.

    Proud of you for doing the cancer walk with Bee. You two are my favorite "Walk-Stars" now!

    love,
    Mothers day Sweetness for ever
    in
    NE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog via instagram from a comment you'd made to dand from made! I love it. I've been reading back through your posts all day and I just wanted to comment on this one. I have cancer, a brain tumor. I love children but I am unable to have any of my own which makes me very sad. Letting me share in your life by reading your blog makes me very happy, and knowing that you and your daughter have done this run for cancer means such a lot, so thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. Your comments make me smile.